Punk Luxe Wedding . . . A DIY Dream
On a recent trip to NYC, I was wonderfully inspired by the Metropolitan Museum’s exhibit, Punk: Chaos to Couture. Punk continues to influence art and fashion and the store windows did not disappoint. Upon returning home, I decided to analyze this movement and discover the secret to its continued allure. Why not plan a Punk wedding? Being a huge fan of Alexander McQueen, I realized that like his “savagely beautiful” fashions, Punk could be luxurious. The key is to mix high and low—things like duct tape and Japanese papers or Sharpees® and Crane envelopes in a skillful manner. So grab whatever materials you have on hand (old magazines, glue sticks, paper scraps, etc.), put on the Sex Pistols, and start your own wedding revolution.
- ARG – Indie bands do it—why not try an alternate reality game for your Save the Date. Start by sending guests an email that has a link to your Facebook page where they will find their next clue. You can then use Tweets, texts, QR codes, or snail mail; dropping virtual breadcrumbs as you lead them to the finale—your wedding website with a personal video message from you and your fiancé that contains all of the pertinent info about your big day.
- Readymade Guestbook - Appropriate an old sketchbook or album and DIY the cover. I combined torn pieces of black masking tape and strips of Japanese paper. I recycled the ribbon tag from one of my Rick Owens’ tops.
- Bricolage – This is the construction of a work from whatever materials you have available. Place random, cut-up words from magazines (ransom-note style) in a box. Put this on the entry table along with the guestbook, glue sticks, scissors, an old typewriter, and Sharpies®. Guests can create their own, avant-garde message for you.
- Couture Trash Tee Favor – Set up a table where guests can create their own t-shirt favor. Provide them with scissors, safety pins, masking tape, and Sharpees®, and let them rip, graffiti, and deconstruct to their hearts content. Have a photo booth available for these Punk Poseurs!
- Punk Type – Here are some fab fonts to add to the mix:
Jesus Loves You
EAN (barcode) Want more? Check out Punk Luxe . . . Wedding Ideas With an Edge over at HUFFINGTON POST WEDDINGS
Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment on our blog. Please be respectful Know that we reserve the right to remove any profane, mean-spirited, or self-promotional comments