Punk Luxe Wedding . . . A DIY Dream
On a recent trip to NYC, I was wonderfully inspired by the Metropolitan Museum’s exhibit, Punk: Chaos to Couture. Punk continues to influence art and fashion and the store windows did not disappoint. Upon returning home, I decided to analyze this movement and discover the secret to its continued allure. Why not plan a Punk wedding? Being a huge fan of Alexander McQueen, I realized that like his “savagely beautiful” fashions, Punk could be luxurious. The key is to mix high and low—things like duct tape and Japanese papers or Sharpees® and Crane envelopes in a skillful manner. So grab whatever materials you have on hand (old magazines, glue sticks, paper scraps, etc.), put on the Sex Pistols, and start your own wedding revolution.
- ARG – Indie bands do it—why not try an alternate reality game for your Save the Date. Start by sending guests an email that has a link to your Facebook page where they will find their next clue. You can then use Tweets, texts, QR codes, or snail mail; dropping virtual breadcrumbs as you lead them to the finale—your wedding website with a personal video message from you and your fiancé that contains all of the pertinent info about your big day.
- Readymade Guestbook - Appropriate an old sketchbook or album and DIY the cover. I combined torn pieces of black masking tape and strips of Japanese paper. I recycled the ribbon tag from one of my Rick Owens’ tops.
- Bricolage – This is the construction of a work from whatever materials you have available. Place random, cut-up words from magazines (ransom-note style) in a box. Put this on the entry table along with the guestbook, glue sticks, scissors, an old typewriter, and Sharpies®. Guests can create their own, avant-garde message for you.
- Couture Trash Tee Favor – Set up a table where guests can create their own t-shirt favor. Provide them with scissors, safety pins, masking tape, and Sharpees®, and let them rip, graffiti, and deconstruct to their hearts content. Have a photo booth available for these Punk Poseurs!
- Punk Type – Here are some fab fonts to add to the mix:
Jesus Loves You
EAN (barcode) Want more? Check out Punk Luxe . . . Wedding Ideas With an Edge over at HUFFINGTON POST WEDDINGS